Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Twin Speak

According to some of the literature out there about cognitive and speech development in twins, there is a higher chance that they will develop

1. Idioglossi- which is the secret language between the twinlets where they used simpler language and fewer words to communicate with one another. This apparently happens when they are left to play with themselves rather than have an adult to mediate their play.

2. Stuttering and other late onset of speech signs. It is apparently necessary to not just take it easy at their speech delay and assume that they will eventually catch up.

So, are my twins at risk of speech delay and Idioglossi? I don't really know but I suspect not. By 24 months, they are supposed to have more than a 50 word vocabulary so I think we are well on our way. But it is hilarious to see them yammer at one another but occasionally making sense.

These are of Evan describing what little objects he had made with the dough.





And this is them, playing, chatting and fighting before bedtime. Baby J is in an oversized t-shirt because I decided as part of their wind down activities for the day before they go to bed, they would have access to a bag full of stuff I yanked out of my closet; old t-shirts, torn pashminas, strings of beads and swatches of cloth. It was the best time to do it because they get changed into their night clothes and diapers at that point too, so it all becomes part of it.




Look out for the words

1. Ball
2. Bib
3. No more
4. Row row
5. Oh no!
6. Duck Duck
7. No
8. Oh!
9. There!
10. Light!

and combinations of those words.

I need to also look for more exciting things to add into the bag of clothes. I realise my wardrobe consists primarily of t-shirts which aren't all that exciting for the twins. But until then, I'm going to enjoy watching them chat, bicker, joke and tease one another all in the name of sibling-hood.

Technorati Tags: ,

3 comments:

  1. hmm, the 3 boxes in this post show up blank for me, with a little icon in the corner. Do they show up properly for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is ok on mine. But here are the direct links.

    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03qOGfwsn0&feature=related
    2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy2WE_6ymBw
    3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtJfCdW5Ms

    ReplyDelete
  3. weird... I've got some such boxes on my own blog too.

    anyways, thanks for the links. haha.

    so cute... your jordan is truly a chilli padi...

    ReplyDelete