Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dear Papa: We had silver gunk put on our face!

Dear Packrat,
This is late. Primarily because we have been trying to recover from the last week of excitement; what with the concert, its rehearsals and the beginnings of Halloween. One thing for sure that I have discovered, I don't have it to be a show mum. It started with trying to figure out how what make up we could use on super sensitive baby skin. Then, there was actually putting on the stuff on their faces. And shuttling them between rehearsals and the actual show.

When it came to make up, obviously, Jordan loved it! She sat prim and still while I dabbed, brushed, mixed and blended. Evan on the other hand, furrowed his brow, shut his eyes so tight that by the time I gave up, his eye shadow had creases in it where he had crinkled his eyes so hard that the skin had folded. Then I figured out how inadequate I was with make up because I had no eye liner pencil, mascara and eyelash crimp. When I did manage to get my hands on some mascara, I ended up smudging it all over Jordan's face. My own make up, I can do. Someone else's, obviously not. I think it has something to do with lateral direction that I cannot handle.

What I thought was 'wayang' make up, was obviously not thick enough the minute I got to their school. I had also guilelessly volunteered to help with the children's make up for dress rehearsal day and was told to make all the children's cheeks 'pinker' and their eyes 'brighter'. I wasn't alone in my ignorance as to what stage make up was because I made up children that I thought had come in bare-faced only to be tearfully told that "my mommy already put make up on my face!"

The end product however was amazing.

Silvery glittery make up on Evan went very nicely with his astronaut costume. He was every bit the intrepid inter-gallactic adventurer.  Even from the top of the stalls at the theatre, I could see where he was. And I could feel his earnest intensity as he stamped, marched and shot at imaginary aliens. What was amazing was that with rehearsal, our shy, self-conscious little one led his class on stage and was precise, confident and bold in his movements; clearly enjoying himself and reveling in the applause. 



Jordan, we have always known, loved the stage. She skipped on with the biggest smile on her face and was a little French sous chef who pranced, pouted her pink painted lips and looked star struck at the boys who were main chefs. I don't need to say this again, but I think we have to lock her up soon.  I was sad that her segment was short and it didn't allow her the big expressive movements that her brother did. But she was chuffed with her lacy hairband and tulle under skirt that gave her skirt the pouff she always wanted. 



As I sat through the concert, I realised how I would also be one of those moms who would tear and cry at the graduation ceremonies of my children and most definitely at their weddings! Pomp and Circumstance was played for the little Kindy 2s who would go on to greater things next year (Primary One). The combination of that and them walking out in their little graduation gowns made me think about next year when the twins would be doing just that. That thought in itself, was enough to make me want to cry.  

This was a ceremony that was meaningful without falling into the trap of celebrating achievement. I liked the idea that every child was on stage and no one was picked to represent the class as a 'valedictorian'. What six year old should be a valedictorian? And the message it sends out would be that even at that age, children have to vie to be the best because there is a big pot of gold at the end of it. 

The one thing that I thought you would like about this whole kiddy concert was that they taught the children about compassion and a social cause. To help those in need. I don't know if you remember but that there have been these discussions about Smokey Mountain. Apparently, it is a big slum dump and both adults and children mine through, without regard to safety or health just to sell scraps for a very insignificant amount of money. The theme revolved around how to best helped the children of Smokey Mountain. I liked that the school made the children aware of it and it reminded me about the instance where Evan brought the light saber you bought for him and told me to give it to the children of Smokey Mountain. 

We ought to follow up on it.

Anyway, flushed with stage high, the twins buzzed and bounced like jelly beans. It took much more effort than normal to corral them into getting into the car. And social butterflies that they were, they just had to say hi to everyone they met. 

You will have to be around for next year's. Not only to see them in the cute little graduation gowns and black dress shoes, you have to see how these little things make our little ones grow up before your eyes. 

They've made me pay $35 for the video so that Papa can watch them perform. And since they will probably watch it ad nauseum, I figure cost per use becomes quite low and that justifies the $35. 

More to come. Next is Halloween. But one post a night is as much as I can muster!

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

  1. I already cry at OTHER people's weddings! Am definitely one of those moms who would cry at my kid's every big day haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline,
    I agree! I think all these other little emotional experiences are supposed to prepare us for the big wedding one!

    ReplyDelete