Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Salbutamol Redux

The first time either child was exposed to Ventolin or Salbutamol was when they were about 28 weeks in utereo and their combined weight was tricking my body into thinking that I was just about carrying ONE full term baby and it had better get ready to kick the baby out by practising contractions. The problem was that 28 weeks, they were no where near ready to leave the safe confines of my uterus. So, to stop the contractions my lovely doctor put me on Salbutamol. It was meant to reduce the contractions and it did for a while before the contractions got too strong for it to handle and I had to get that dosage upped and add to that nifedipine which is basically hypertension medication.

We seemed to have come full circle. Sunday's fever for Evan has developed into a cough. Not any ol' cough but one that has affected the lungs and has chosen to see fit the lungs as a perfect storage place for mucous. It's called bronchiolitis. It affects the tiny airways in the lungs. And on an 11 month old, the tiny airways are even tinier and even more prone to congestion. Thankfully we were not sent home with a whole host of medication. We were just sent home with Salbutamol, this time, not to reduce contractions or prevent pre-term labour but for what it is usually used for, to open up airways.

My little son may be predisposed to respiratory ailments because a) he is a boy and boys are apparently more susceptible and b) because his father before him has a history of such ailments. Of course, his grandmother, upon hearing about his phlegm-buoyant condition suggested that the best way to solve the situation was to teach my 11 month old to be bulimic. Stick a finger down the throat to trigger the gag reflex that will then bring up the phlegm therefore working like an expectorant and not needing medication. Of course forgetting that gagging usually causes a shock to the system, acid into the mouth, tears in the eyes and on an 11 month old, loud screams to follow. And without the guarantee that it will bring up said phlegm.

I know she means well but under no circumstance is anyone sticking a finger down any child's throat. I'm hoping that I don't have to contend with eating disorders just yet, if ever.

Anyway, there is the possibility of hospitalisation which scares me to no end. We're considering rescheduling our flights and arrangements because I think it will absolutely push me off the edge if he does get hospitalised and I'm not around to be with him. But at the same time, I've been assured by both doctors in the family that hospitals see it as their responsibility to give you the most doom and gloom and ominous prognosis just to make sure they've covered their asses. Well, cover their ass they do at the expense of my emotional and mental well-being.

Plus on top of that, cuddling and comforting Evan and allowing him to nuzzle and kiss (read:slobber) me has caused me to feel like I'm going to come down with something too, even though I'm certain my bronchials are sizeably larger than his are.

Postscript: I think Jordan's got it too. She's hacking in her sleep. Just my luck. That's the other thing about having twins. When one falls ill, the other is bound to follow suit regardless of precautionary measures taken.

Technorati Tags: ,

2 comments:

  1. hey, i hope E is better & that J hasn't got the same thing! my nephew got it when he was about 5 1/2 months old, and he was hospitalised. they had to put him in the box (don't know what it's called...?)!

    my sister was so distressed and upset... poor her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your two kids get better soon! :)

    I find that when my boy gets like this, with all the coughing and phelgm - he wakes up in the middle of the night and cough and vomit out phelgm - that at night I keep his chest warm (with vicks), he gets better. Also I give him Vasican (err, the green colour one for phelgm rather than Sabutamol for airways) to help reduce the amount of phelgm. And cough mixture too.

    ReplyDelete