Saturday, January 13, 2007

Manolo Blahniks

Most of the important people in school now know that I'm carrying an extra load. I've told some people, out of obligation, out of the need to get classrooms that are airconditioned and not in another time zone and well, because it was plain courteous to do so. But that also means, that I've been inundated with advice. The funniest one yet was to not walk too fast. Not because I might slip and fall or something but because it'd put me into preterm labour. This came from one of the higher ups who spent her pregnancy zooming all over the school as if she were in contention for a record for power walking. It apparently also sent her into preterm labour at 29 weeks so this was her piece of advice to me.

I've tried to walk at a reasonable pace in the last couple of days in school. I think I'm also helped by the fact that since I flatly refused to buy an "aunty-esque" pair of Scholls sandals and my shoes have heels, I can't walk as quickly. That point however has also caused many comments and gentle chidings. Apparently, my heels look scary, dangerous and one colleague pleased me no end when she commented I had killer heels. So, they disapprove and tell me that it's bad for circulation, I might slip down the stairs and all sorts of other horror tales. And I stubbornly claimed that I couldn't wear flat shoes and low heels made me walk like a duck plus I wasn't ready to waddle yet

But they had the last word. I woke in the middle of the night with the strangest and most acute of leg cramps, where I had been complaining my leg felt sore. I didn't attribute it to the heels but they did. My compromise was to wear boots in the next day but apparently, that wasn't good enough because the boots were about 3 inches high. My rationale was, it provided a whole lot more support. But I have a feeling, I'm fighting a losing battle here and it's a matter of time before I've got to retire all my killer heels.

Sigh, the fantasy of wearing Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo type shoes is rapidly going to remain a fantasy. Perhaps, Cole Haan with the comfy air pad thingys.


Technorati Tags: ,

1 comments: