Sunday, December 28, 2008

Battle of the Wills

I'm late on a Christmas post, I know. But Packrat needs to download the photos from his camera before I can get going on those ones. So I'll blog about something else first, which doesn't require photographic evidence. Food and eating or rather the lack there of.

We've come back from Vegas to kids who are a little bit different from the kids we left. They're a little bit more cognizant, a little bit more vocal, a little taller and chubbier and a whole lot more insistent on their ways. Call it asserting their independence.

Baby J has had the head start in that department since she was willful in-utero. But Evan is now a close second. Both know how to push and shove and know how to look offended and pout if told to NOT do something. And both have decidedly different outlooks and opinions about food. Evan will eat, almost anything and everything you put in front of him. But come milk time, he will purse his lips, clench his teeth and not let the teat through. I've resorted to tricking him into drinking milk by giving him cold fresh milk. But once the novelty of the cold sets in, he ignores it and runs away from the cup as soon as he catches sight of it. He'll drink his milk when he's going to bed, at night and during the night but nothing in the day. It can't be the milk because I've tried various things, breastmilk, formula, fresh milk, Pediasure. Even if we do eventually pin him down and get him to drink it, he'll drink less than half and he's off again. Part of me is concerned because the boy needs the calcium and despite him eating cheese and yogurt, it can't be enough. The other part of me thinks that he eats well, he drinks milk in the night, I survived on much less as a kid, I should be non-fazed.

Then there's Jordan, my little headstrong Baby Dowager who will let nary a piece meat into her mouth. She's always been a little bit more fussy and a little bit more picky as an eater but recently, she fights at every meal time. She has to be distracted for us to shovel food into her mouth. On good days she will take it and keep it down, on bad days she will go all bulimic on us and we'll see in it reverse projectile. Sometimes she cracks us up by being wise to our ways and suck dry the food we've spooned into her mouth and eject a dried up piece of cud devoid of juices. She is happy to drink plain soup, sans veg or meat and eat plain rice. Once again, that worries me and is grounds for contention between her other caregivers and I. Because she is my daughter and because I'm naturally and instinctively protective over her and because I feel that her temperament is mine, I tend to defend her against anyone who attacks her for it and feel hurt on her behalf when she is accused of a variety of things. I may be the over-protective mother here but who can stand by and watch her daughter be accused of being scheming, of being spoilt, of purposely angering her other caregivers? Who can fault the child when food has become such a big issue and if the girl is anything like me, when pushed into a corner, will push back and won't give in. I read everywhere that food should not be a battle ground. That we should not cause the child to associate food as a stressor.

But it really has become one. Between Baby J and her caregivers. Between her caregivers and I, unspoken of course. Often Baby J is cast in the role of the the conniving, spiteful one who does it on purpose to make the life of her caregiver miserable. That she plots, plans and occasionally throws up on people because she is battling with them. Unbeknowst or beknownst to those who make such accusations, it is often they, who portray her as such. At the same time, I know she can be trying and I have on many occasion, lost my patience with her sometimes to the point where I've had to leave the house or tell Packrat to take over. But I have never spoken in an unforgiving or resentful manner about my 18 month old.

And as with all allegedly guilty parties, when I feed Baby J today, she is good. She feeds herself rice, she eats her veg and meat (in small, non gag inducing quantities) and most of her soup. But come dinner, while I'm out running errands, she's back to being that 'naughty little girl' who will painstakingly remove every piece of meat from her mouth.

Of course, while all this is playing out, Evan seems to be the happy, cooperative child who eats his food, plays contentedly and is not an unfathomable mystery. Perhaps not and I'm thankful for his very easily lovable nature because I could never manage two difficult children, as is, with his milk strike and her food strike and petty tempers, it's more than I can handle. And while I am strong-willed, there's only that much I can battle, even with a battering ram.

If only they could invent an IV drip that we could attach our kids to, that would be great. We won't have to worry about nutrition, calcium for the bones, protein for the muscle and oils for the brain. We'll just give them IV packs like energy packs and be off and running as a matter of speaking.


Technorati Tags: ,

1 comments:

  1. 2 books that may help:

    The Highly Sensitive Child - Elaine N. Aron PhD

    How To Get Your Kid To Eat... but not too much. From Birth To Adolescence - Ellyn Satter.

    I've read the first, but not the second one yet.

    Guess what, I have the same problems as you!!

    I breastfed my boy until he stopped of his own accord at 3.5y, but then I was landed with the problem that he never took to formula milk! Thankfully, he likes calcium-supplemented orange juice (contains as much calcium per volume as milk) and I also give him 1 Tbsp/day of calcium-supplement-in-a-suspension.

    You can try Evan on calcium-supplemented orange juice, and also tofu. The harder the tofu, the more calcium it contains, but the tasty ones are the soft egg-tofus. Broccoli has lots of calcium too.

    As for Jordan... Well, my 18-yr old stepdaughter has also often come-across as 'manipulative', 'spoilt', 'princessy' etc, not only wrt food, but also in clothes, bedlinens, ambient noise... anything in her environment. Sigh...

    But I began to understand her a lot better after reading 'The Highly Sensitive Child'. Some children just seem to have many more olfactory nerves or taste-buds than the average person, and very subtle tastes or smells in even different brands of the same foods turn them off.

    To this day she hardly touches chicken at all, drinks only soy-milk (only a certain brand whose taste appeals to her; fortunately this is calcium-supplemented), eats only beef that's very tender or sliced very thin, won't touch pork chops or stir-fried pork, won't touch potatoes or ham or luncheon meat or most types of sausages, will eat only turkey ham, can't stand hard-boiled egg yolks (so when I make hard-boiled eggs I have to make special ones for her that is 3/4 boiled), ... And also food has to be done so well it's close to gourmet standards before she'll really eat it. Or else she'll try hard to suppress a disgusted look and just leave the food uneaten.

    For Jordan, what you have to be concerned about is her iron-intake. I assume she's drinking milk, right? Most formulas are supplemented with iron, so if she's consuming a fair bit of formula, it's better than none. Polyvisol is a form of iron-containing supplement that can be fed through a dropper. Or else consult your pediatrician.

    If she's drinking soup, if the soup has meat & bones boiled in it for a while, it probably has some protein & iron floating around in it that will nourish her. Will she take porridge? What about stirring an egg into the porridge or mashing ground pork/mashed fish into the porridge? Eggs have some iron too.

    My stepdaughter seems to like foods that are soft, light, smooth & juicy in texture, & light-colored. She likes rice--must have rice for most meals. She used to insist on having soup ladled into her rice, so it's a little like porridge & easier to eat, but thankfully she has now gotten out of this habit. She likes macaroni. She likes fish (all kinds of fishes cooked so that the flesh is juicy & tender, not dry & tough), crab-meat, prawns. She doesn't mind ground-pork in the form of steamed egg & mince-pork, but won't eat steamed ground-pork patties, I think because it looks too much like a great big gross slab of meat. She also likes all kinds of pastries--fluffy kopitiam bread, the pastry of paos, steamed buns, the crust of Old Chang Kee curry puffs. She can't stand the dry powdery texture of potatoes or hard-boiled egg yolks, but doesn't mind the smoother texture of sweet potatoes (in fact she's into a phase where she eats sweet potatoes everyday now.. ). She loves apples but won't eat it if the texture is 'powdery'. She's now REALLY into Japanese food--can probably eat it everyday if she is allowed to. Thankfully here in Vancouver, Japanese restaurants are everywhere & the salmon is so fresh! Jap food is precisely what she likes: rice, plenty of seafood, all presented in dainty bits with meticulous attention to details.

    I don't know about people who advise that I should just cook whatever I want to cook & leave it to the kids as to whether they will eat it or not. As her stepmom, I can't do that--that will be perceived as 'evil'! Also, it's supposed to be the wrong method for 'highly sensitive' children.

    I don't know if telling you what my stepdaughter likes may give you some clues as to what Jordan will like... :-)

    ReplyDelete