Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Linus and his blue blanket

For some strange reason, sleep is a big issue with my kids. Some kids sleep through the night at 6 weeks and some are 3 and still waking up for night feeds. My kids are the latter more than the former although until recently, Evan was a sleep from 8.30pm- 5 am kind of boy.

Baby J has always had issues because she didn't feed well while she was younger and she never quite caught up. She's much better now, clocking an 8.30- 4.30 night with an in between cry although that has been easily satiated with water. I envy the moms who have kids but manage a full night's sleep. I also envy the moms that have been able to sleep train their children. Even after 19 months, I still haven't managed to do that. Primarily because there are too many people in the house who cannot bear to hear the children cry. When I suggested it, I was accused of depriving my children of sustenance and accused of being heartless.

And something is always up with one of them. Either they're sick or they have issues with us having just come home from vacation or are starting work or some sort of anxiety and will wake up needing us at night.

For the last week, it's been Evan. We think he's insecure about something because he's clingy in the day and he doesn't want to sleep in his bed, in the night. He'd demand that we lie with him on a mattress, cry blue murder if we tried to get him to sleep in his cot and go hysterical if we left the room before he was fully asleep. Even when he manage to get him to fall asleep in his cot, hours later when he stirs, opens an eye and realises that neither Mommy nor Daddy are in the room, howling and big fat tears ensue. Strangely enough, his sister sleeps through it and offers no comfort.

I'm not sure what it is, I'm thankful that I'm not working as I weather this. But it is exhausting and sometimes I feel quite miserable when it's the nth time I'm in the room and the nth time he's screeching for me. I'm also sure that once he gets over this, something will bug his sister.

Tis the tale of the mother of twins.

Technorati Tags: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment