Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Soup Spoon

The battle of the wills continue, especially with Baby J though I've learnt to get round it by feeding the girl in two parts. First, at her designated high chair, to make it a point that she needed to sit at her place at the table and then the rest in the sink when she got fidgety and had her initial fill. I think I've talked about it before but Baby J eats to just not be hungry rather than eat to be full. So, once she's not hungry, it's hard to keep her seated in her seat. The sink's a great place to feed her because of the mess she inadvertently makes especially if she chooses to method act bulimia.

I've figured out that the girl doesn't like huge chunks of meat, so invisible slivers are fine as are vegetables that are finely minced and don't irritate her gag reflex. The girl is also Mommy's girl because she loves her soup. Any sort of soup.

Last evening, her adoring Grandfather made cream of mushroom soup from scratch and far be it for me to reject food on her behalf, I let Baby J and Evan have supper even though they were bathed and their teeth had been brushed. Here she is, being all adult, eating at the table on our chair, from our crockery and cutlery and nodding her assent and approval at the taste of the soup.



And this was towards the end when she already had her fill but was still going at it like Goldilocks and the bowl of porridge. We love these moments because she seems so grown up, far beyond her 18 months and while she spooned a lot of soup onto the table and herself, she managed to also get quite a lot into her mouth. Now, where was Evan while all this shennanigans was happening? He was happily slurping the soup at the back too. It wasn't his minute in the spot light and he was just happy with food. I was happy because it was cream soup, made with milk and the boy, still not drinking milk in the day was getting an extra dose of calcium.

So, it was quite a win win situation. Ironically, Mommy didn't drink the soup. Cream soups, unless fake ones that come out of the Campbells tin are just a bit much for my gag reflex.


Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

  1. Hurray! It's so satisfying to see them eat, isn't it?

    I'm suddenly reminded of what my boy used to love to eat when he was about one. It was a type of rice or wheat milk-cereal called 'Frisocrem', which I happened to have some samples of. I loved the taste too! Very 'vanilla'. I tried some other milk-cereals but they just didn't seem to taste as nice. When I brought my 10-month-old baby to Melbourne for a 10-day trip, that was all he ate, plus breast-milk of course! Very easy to prepare.

    If Evan likes the taste it would solve the problem of his calcium intake, I suppose!

    YY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding calcium-intake: I'm suddenly reminded of ikan bilis. I remember one pediatrics professor saying that if you consume one ikan bilis it's as good as drinking one cup of milk--you're basically eating the entire skeleton of the fish!

    Traditionally local people 'powder' dried ikan bilis and stir it into porridge for weaning infants. Check out this modern mom's entry:
    http://wokkingmum.blogspot.com/2008/10/ikan-bilis-powder.html

    Yummy... makes my mouth water. Feel like going out to buy some ikan bilis right-away.. :-)

    [special project: check out the calcium content of one ikan bilis, whether it really equates that of one cup of milk.. ]

    YY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good information here: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/calcium_requirements.html

    (but don't worry too much about the bit where they mentioned Vit D intake; kids here in the tropics would be the last to be deficient in it! Sunlight beats any Vit D supplement hands down.)

    YY.

    ReplyDelete