Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gender bending

Baby J has discovered, without our help a love for dresses and all things pretty. She demands many times over to be allowed to wear 'pretty dresses'. Occasionally, she will pick them out herself.

While some feminist moms and non-moms alike would be shaking their heads in disapproval, I say, I pick the battles I want to fight with her and this is one I don't want to get into. So I let her pick out dresses and shoes that she likes. I wouldn't chuck too big a fit either if she wanted to play with Barbie because I played with Barbie.





















What did bother me slightly was when Evan, two nights ago when I was putting on their pyjamas, that he also wanted a pretty dress. It is funny though because he is only doing it since his sister does it, although I draw the line at pretty dresses at bed time. When she's older, she can pick out night dresses but till then, she's sleeping in PJ pants and tops.

Anyway, I told Evan that he couldn't wear a pretty dress because he was a boy and dresses were for girls. That seemed to satisfy him for a while although he did ask again, yesterday after his shower, if he could have a pretty dress.

Packrat told him, he could ask for a handsome shirt.

It might make us a little bit conservative by doing this, but well, that's what we decided. We like our boys boys and our girls girls. We're ok with him playing with hairclips and hair bands and tottering around in Mommy's 4 inch shoes. Don't ask us why, but we drew the line at the dress.



Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comments:

  1. Your post makes me smile. My son is only 3.75 yrs old. Sometimes he chooses his own clothes and they have got to be colour coordinated! I bought pretty dresses for his little sister and because they were still too big for her, I teased my son to wear it for me to see, but he flatly refused. He too played with hairclips, pretty jewellery and perfume, but it was only for a while. I guess we needn't be too worried, but it sure made for a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete