Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Loose lips sink ships

Being on school holidays means that JED see a lot more of each other than on a regular school day and that means more opportunity to get on each other's nerves or in each other's way. As a result, there is much more conflict and many more situations where they tell on one another.

It is exhausting listening to them tell on each other. It's always something petty, it hasn't been anything life- threatening and it's always to get the other party/ parties into trouble with us. They tattle when they know that the other sibling has broken one of our rules. They want the other sibling to get into trouble with us. Without a doubt.

I can be asleep, having lunch, driving or at times in the bath when the petulant "Mommmy....." chord strikes.

It has gotten to the point where I ask them 3 questions with an extremely fierce glint in my eye.

1. Why are you telling me this?

2. Is someone hurt because of this?

And if there is no answer to 1. and the answer to 2 is "No one" then my next question...

3. Are you telling me this so that I will scold your brother/ sister?



At least they have enough decency to look a little bit contrite when I throw Question 3 at them and they dare not nod. Muffin tried once and he got machine gun questions to follow in ascending volume.

4. WHY DO YOU WANT ME TO SCOLD YOUR BROTHER/ SISTER?
5. IF I SCOLD THEM, I OUGHT TO SCOLD YOU TOO! DO YOU WANT ME TO SCOLD YOU AS WELL?

That's when he realised the best move was to back away slowly without breaking eye contact till he was out of arm's reach and run far away to hide.

If it weren't for the fact that I didn't need to wrestle with homework and waking up early, I would really be counting down the days till they are all back at school.

0 comments:

Post a Comment