Monday, January 29, 2007

Phantom nursing

I breastfed a few nights ago.

This happened in my dream. I dreamt that I had to breastfeed the offspring and I was somewhat struggling with it. All the thoughts that have gone through my mind about breastfeeding were manifested in my dreams. About it hurting, about not having enough and whatever else. By the end of my dream, I think I'd gotten the knack of what I had to do but I realised I had painful breasts because I had too much milk and it had to be expressed.

And that pain escalated, exponentially actually and I was getting desperate to get the milk out so that the boobs would stop throbbing. But the pain just kept getting worse, to the point that I woke up, almost howling in pain, almost ready to jump out of bed and find a breast pump to express. At that point, I realised the breast feeding bit was a dream but not the pain bit because my boobs really really really hurt!

They hurt quite a bit at the beginning but it seems to have quietened down a little bit. In general, they've been sore but not excruciatingly so. Then, this midnight madness happened and it took me a good hour to get back to sleep and for the pain to subside.

The next morning, Packrat takes one look at the perpetrators and remarks that they look like they've grown overnight. Perhaps, that's what it was all about. It was an extremely painful growth spurt. Time to go out there and buy bras. For once in my life, I have cleavage. But I've paid the very very painful price.

Technorati Tags: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment