Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Late work

Some things don't change even when you become a parent. In primary school, I did a great amount of last minute work or no work at all. I was very good at hiding my workbooks and feign loss of workbooks so that I didn't need to do the work. Obviously, it got found out later on. As an older student, I was much more conscientious but that was more a case of discipline rather than my nature.

The original me hasn't had occasion to rise to the surface till recently. What has changed? I've stopped work so technically, I don't have an employer I am accountable to. Not really anyway. This in itself, hasn't been a bad thing. It's allowed me to be much more relaxed and take things easy. An unnatural yet natural state for me. But it's also allowed me to get caught out in a way I would never have been post primary school. I actually forgot to do my homework. Well, not really mine, but the twins'.

Part of me knew that it needed to be done by Monday. But the other part of me just pushed it to the back of my mind because I knew the twins weren't going to be in school on Monday. But come Tuesday morning, I decide to look at the twins' communication books from school and realise that there are 2 reminders in there about bringing in the home-school project. That's when I gulped and realised that the school had taken the entire exercise seriously and I really did need to hand in something. Thankfully, we had spent some time actually doing the actual project. It was just a matter of putting it together into a story board of sorts and printing it out. This didn't't sound like much until I realised I had about an hour to get all of it done while also getting ready to send the twins to school. But the eventual product was something I was quite proud of, so here it is.




Prologue
Jordan and Evan had a pond. E-I-E-I-O. And on the farm, they had some ducks. E-I-E-I-O. And a 'quack quack' here, and a 'quack quack' there, here a 'quack', there a 'quack', everywhere a 'quack quack'...Jordan and Evan had a pond. E-I-E-I-O.














Jordan and Evan decided that their farm would have a duck pond. So we all got together and started to create a duck pond. We printed some pictures of ducks. Jordan decided her duck was going to be black. Evan thought rubber ducks were a much better idea than the paper ducks mummy printed so he did not bother with paper ducks at all.







Our duck pond was actually the top of the box that our pram came in. We made water by sticking blue paper onto the base. Mummy taught us how to make trees by soaking cotton wool in green paint. We glued the trees on and Daddy decided that the pond needed some boats as well. Since we were bigger than the duck pond, we could climb in and pretend to be GIANTS in the pond.










Our duck pond was surrounded by trees and flowers and some butterflies. There was also grass growing on the embankment. We had lots of fun doing that with a brush. Dab dab dab.
Evan felt it was missing something so he put his favourite yellow caterpillar by the water side. The caterpillar was not afraid that the ducks would eat him because he was bigger than the ducks! Mwahaha! (Talk about metacognition here)







Evan decides to take his GIANT status a step further and decides to do a Godzilla on the duck pond. Lift and Flip. All fall out! Thankfully Daddy had photographed the entire project before the ducks came tumbling out.










There. All done in an hour. Neatly printed, put into sheet sleeves and a file. To me, it was a rushed job. When I brought it to school and another mom saw me hand it over to the teacher, she exclaimed that it was so professionally done and so impressive. Thought bubble over my head..."seriously?" I guess, I'm a hybrid now. Slacker mom where possible but Little Miss Perfectionist still lurks somewhere beneath the surface.


Technorati Tags: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment