Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Sanctuary House

The Sanctuary House is welfare organisation that offers help to women or girls who have babies and are too overwhelmed to know what to do. It offers these women a life line so that they don't feel that their only option is to dump the baby on the streets or in the rubbish chute or worse yet in a locker somewhere. It's run by volunteers and they don't turn anyone away or charge anyone for looking after their baby.

I read about them soon after I had my twins and I'd always felt that it was an organisation that I ought to help. Recently, I heard that they were looking for donations. And that's where I felt I could help. With the twins and the amount of stuff the twins accumulate, I found that I was constantly looking to give away things. And what better place to give away things to. I just spoke to a volunteer and she sounded absolutely thrilled that I could give her clothes and nursery equipment. Afterall, many of the babies that come to them have nothing but the clothes on their backs and some of them, don't even have that.

So, I thought, rather than just send them what I have put aside, I would spread the word and see if anyone else had anything they could give to these babies.

According to the volunteer, they are in need of

1. Diapers. (most sizes are welcome but right now, they're short of the mediums)
2. Baby wipes.
3. Powder ( I don't know if she meant formula or talcum powder but I'm guessing it's the former)
4. Clothes from 0 to 2 years of age.
5. Diaper bags.
6. A car seat or 2.
7. Milk bottles (all sorts are good but I think they use the Avent system)
8. Toys in good condition

No bulky items like strollers and bath tubs because they have limited space at the moment.

So, I'm appealing to the moms out there who might feel moved to buy some of the perishables and donate them or are moved to clear out their baby's wardrobes of these to send over. At the same time, I must add that we shouldn't use them as a dumping ground for spoilt toys or expired milk because that is just inconsiderate.

I will make a trip down to drop off what I have. If you have stuff and want to drop it off with me, please email me at ondineng[at]gmail[dot]com. and let me know or contact them directly (+65 6221 0588). They'll be happy to get whatever you can give.

0 comments:

Post a Comment