Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The colour of money

Apparently, the concept of money and 'buying' things have to be taught. Some kids grow up thinking 'buy' means mummy/daddy will make it happen and whatever it is will materialise. The only good thing about these kids not having grasped the meaning of money is that they are not easily bribed. You can't tell them "eat this and I will give you $2" because $2 has no meaning to them. It could be 2 rupiah for all they cared.

Since Packrat comes from a family on financial advisors and analysts, we have seen it necessary to teach the kids about money, even at their wee ages. They learnt how to rotate and twist their wrists while learning to put coins into a money box. Now, everytime they see coins, they put it into the money box. The bad side is we can't leave coins lying around because they are like little sniffer dogs when it comes to seeking out coins.

The twins are also often brought to the supermarket as a means of getting them out of the house. One of the first phrases Jordan learnt was to say 'buy things' when you told her that she was going to the supermarket. The conversations that ensued often would revolve around what she was going to buy. Inadvertently, she would say 'buy apples' or 'buy bread'. Occasionally and it would thrill her to bits, we would give her a 2 dollar note and have her hand it to the cashier and she would wait for change to be given to her. Of course, in her mind it must have been "wow, cool, I give a dollar note and get a bunch of coins in return". More is probably better in her mind.

Anyway, the other thing about Baby J is that she loves rifling through my wallet. Two days ago, she pulled out a $50 bill that I was worried she was going to tear. In order to lure it away from her, I had to offer that which in her mind was of equal value. Biscuits. Goldfish crackers to be exact.



Apparently, I was equally gullible when I was little. Every Chinese New Year, my brother would try to trade my Big Blue Notes for more Red Notes. In my mathematically irrational mind, one note in exchange for four seemed like a good idea until I learnt Money in school and wisened up to my brother and his tricks. I threatened to do the same to his kids although to this day, I haven't remembered to do so. And now that I have my own to trick, the impetus of conning his kids is much less. *rub hands in evil glee*


Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

  1. wahhhhh, you bully kechi ah! You made Jordan pay $50 for ONE goldfish biscuit! LOLOLOL!!!

    Yes, sigh... it wasn't too long ago that my dyslexic son still thought that getting change was a wonderful thing and so asked for his allowance in a $2 bill instead of coins so that "the aunty will give me money back! Then I will have more money!" *faint*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite funny what!

    I'm not looking forward to the day where if I were to give her $50, she says "MORE".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh... aiyah, you just have to train from young that they are to be content with what they get lor. I tell my kids, I give you something, your response had better be thank you mummy, and not a complaint, cos if it is a complaint, I'll take it back and give it to someone else. Haha.

    Your video hor, is like a projection of life to come in the future... super inflation man! $50 can only buy one miserable goldfish biscuit. Haha. When you're old and cranky, and you'll say to her "last time ah, $50 can buy many many packets of goldfish biscuits... now?! chey! One miserable biscuit! Not even one PACKET!!!"

    Hahahahahahahahaha! But yes, you're right... it's quite funny....

    ReplyDelete