Monday, June 21, 2010

Suck fest

There is only one way to describe this June vacation. TOTAL SUCK FEST.

I was looking forward to the June vacation and the things I could do during the vacation with the Packrat and kids. After all, it was my last ditch attempt to enjoy my family before I went back to work.

But all these plans went to naught during the first week of the holidays when the twins came down with a viral fever. The viral fever left Little J in so much abdominal pain that it required two visits to the Emergency room. Apparently the viral fever caused the poor child to constipate and in the doctor's words, full of shit.

So we've spent much time monitoring her shitting habits and the shit that eventually gets put out. Not the most ideal of situation.

Just when this was settling and we thought at least we had the last 10 days of the vacation to take a good stab at having fun, the twins' school report that there were cases of HFMD in their school and one in the twins' class. That made my stomach sink. And sink further it did when Evan woke up from his nap in the afternoon with eyes that were too bright and a warm forehead.

By Saturday morning, we were sure that he'd caught HFMD. There were tell-tale red spots at the back of his throat. Even though it's not surprising; the boy spends much time dragging around his bedraggled duck with his thumb in his mouth, it's enough to throw a spanner into the works.

The complication now is that Jordan hasn't started showing signs on it and we need to make sure Muffin doesn't catch it. This meant quarantining Evan at the grandparents. But that left Little J who was in a holding cell of sorts. She wasn't showing signs so we didn't want to condemn her to the illness by putting her with her brother. But bringing her home and taking her where ever we went isn't the best option either because even though she isn't displaying any signs, she might still be a little menace to the health of society.

So, we're just going to wing it. Obviously, we're keeping her home from childcare, which is another bugbear for me because we did spend quite a bit to put them in for the month and I think at best, Jordan spent about 7 days in school and Evan, about 10. And it's money down the drain.

And the hardest part of it is to hear my usually hyper son tell me, very pathetically and dully, "Mommy, I am sick".

Right now, I feel like I am a child in the middle of a custody battle, except the people fighting for me are my children and they live in separate houses. I spend part of the day in one house and then rush over to the other house to spend the rest of my time there. Back and forth I go, till I become not entirely sure if I'm coming or going.


Technorati Tags: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment