Sunday, August 22, 2010

Carnival atmosphere

Punishing Evan last weekend has been very effective. I gave him a heads up yesterday that we would be going to a carnival on Saturday morning where there was a HUGE trampoline. They *heart* trampolines and their eyes lit up when I told them that. This morning, Evan didn't want to drink his milk at breakfast. I warned him that if he didn't, he'd be left at home again. The alarm in his eyes was almost instant and then he drained the cup and showed me the empty cup. As usual, they created a grand mess, playing kitchen, colouring and playing with their toys cars. But once again, just suggesting that the toys had to be picked up was enough to send them scurrying round the house like little hoovers!

Anyway, we managed to leave the house very uneventfully and the twins were both very proud of the fact that they'd been good children. And so, it was off to the YOG Kids' Carnival at Marina Bay where they were in sheer play heaven.

There was, obviously, the trampoline. They were supposed to be harnessed but the silly YOG crew strapped them in and raised them far too high up off the trampoline, scaring them and scaring me at the same time. Even this evening, at bed time, the twins remember the harness and told me they didn't like it! But they were free jumping like jack rabbits till we had to drag them off.
























The other crowd-pleaser was a huge bouncy playground complete with a fake rock wall and slide. Back and forth the twins went, impressing the teenaged crew who initially tried to stop them from trying to climb back up the steep slide for fear that they would fall.

























It had been a nice overcast day when we got there but by the end of it, it got a little bit hot as the sun come out from behind the clouds. A very sneezy Packrat, something was and is still bugging his nose, begged for some airconditioned reprieve.

There was a Meet an Olympian session going on so we went in so that everyone could have a breather. The Olympian in attendance Jani Tanskanen and what thrilled Jordan the most was when he taught all the little children how to do handstands and actually flipped them over.
























On one hand, I think it was really sad that the twins had a run of the place. For a Saturday morning, it was quiet enough for the twins to have a whole trampoline to themselves and a bouncy play area as well. On the other hand, being a former sports person who is totally envious that there is such a thing as the YOG and wishing that there had been something like that when I was still running competitively, I wish people were more thrilled about it. It is sad to see events that are not filled up and stands that are empty. I wanted to go to the track finals. But I only had one ticket and I couldn't go without Packrat or the twins. So what can I say? It's a confluence of factors, actually. Tickets that seem so preciously hoarded they're not giving it away to people, people not having the time or being let off to see the events and I think what bugs me the most, sheer apathy and indifference.

So, I make up for it by taking the twins to the carnival and hoping that I can take them again before the carnival ends on Thursday.

Anyway, more pics on the kids' Facebook if anyone is interested. A little plug here. If you haven't already 'liked' their page, please do so! Jordan knows to ask to see the 'like' symbol on the various posts.


Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comments:

  1. Hi, I love reading your blog but I don't think I've posted a comment before.

    Like you, I used to be a school runner and would have killed to be running at the YOG. I tried to get tickets earlier but was told they were sold out. After they announced that they were going to release last-minute tickets on Thurs for events, I went down with an old track mate and our kids to the athletics finals on Saturday morning. We queued for more than half an hour and managed to get in and honestly, the place was really packed to the rafters. There was a great atmosphere. I dunno what happened to the spectators for the sold out tickets earlier in the games but the decision to re-sell tickets for no-shows seems to have helped a lot. I don't think all Singaporeans are that apathetic about the YOG though there are many naysayers. The Promotory event does seem really poorly attended though, and I think it's due to lack of publicity. I didn't even know it was on till I saw an article in Sat's papers. Am hoping to bring my son down before it ends.

    ReplyDelete