Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bathroom Play

I come home from work yesterday to a very quiet house. That is always a sure sign that the twins are up to no good. I venture deeper into the house and discover my bathroom door is shut. I decide to bellow as I open it wanting to scare them.

Unfortunately, I am the one that was in for a shock or surprise.

For the longest time, the twins have been fascinated with my bath counter top. They love the little vials, sprays and jars on it. Both of them have also seen me get ready for work where there is blusher and lipstick applied.

Jordan, the girl she is, has learnt how to apply lip balm especially when we were in Perth and it was necessary. Evan copies his sister and as usual, improves on it. 2 days ago, he'd smeared my lip balm, which is minty all over his mouth. That sent him running for help. Evidently that wasn't lesson enough.

Yesterday, I was met by two pre-schoolers grinning from ear to ear looking like Joker in Batman. It was not just lip balm, but actually lipstick. MY lipstick. My precious limited edition, no longer in production Stila lipstick.

And not only had they scrawled all over their faces in it, they'd figured out how to wind it up but not wind it down. On top of that, they had the sense that they needed to cover it. That led to my precious limited edition, no longer in production Stila lipstick being smooshed.



























The problem is, my mother told me once that I'd done that to every single one of her lipsticks. So the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And it was very funny especially because everyone at home insisted that their little ruby coloured mouths and faces stayed that way till I got home as incriminating evidence.

Their play has become increasingly real and make believe at the same time. It is fascinating to watch. But they bear watching. Last Saturday morning, I heard my bathroom tap running. The twins do love hanging out in my bathroom. When I investigated, I was astounded to see Jordan giving her stuffed elephant a bath.



If you look at the sink carefully, you can see black stains all over. Ink stains that were on her and her stuffed Ele, that she was frantically trying to remove.

And then there was the time when half my hand soap was pumped into the sink and the water was running so that they could make bubbles.

I know to some people, these are "caneable" offences. We do make them clean up their mess but I'm too much in stitches to actually mete out any formal punishment.

Of course, I'd be singing a different tune if Evan had successfully pumped out my face serum that is more than $100 a bottle. Thankfully Clinique had the sense to make it relatively 'unchildfriendly'.

Now, everything precious sits on a high shelf in my cupboard. Hopefully, it'll take Pinkie and the Brain a little while longer to figure out my new hiding spot.

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comments:

  1. Is it wrong to smile at your loss? Evan's gleeful face is so amusing. It's definitely cute when one is not the victim.
    Actually, I smooshed my aunt's lipstick too when I was a child. I still remembered it's a Yardley...and there's this old world fragrance to the muck on my lips. She lost a product, I gained a memory.
    Jordan looks very calm and answers your questions well. I like Ele too. It's one adorable stuff elephant. On a sidenote, your sink is the stuff dreams are made of. Generous size and deep. I like!
    Where did Stila go these days? I miss it's turnable yummy glosses.

    ReplyDelete