Monday, November 29, 2010

Small and fiery

The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis states that language shapes thought. It's both an ethnolinguisitc thing as well as a language acquisition thing where vocabulary and syntax plays a part in developing thought.

Although not so sophisticated, Muffin is living proof that it is merely a hypothesis that has been challenged. In this case, by a not yet 10 month who is at the moment still pre-verbal.

I'm the youngest child and Muffin is my youngest child. I see the similarities. I had a somewhat imperious eldest sibling. So does Muffin, in the form of Jordan. My big brother used to think that he could tell me what to do. I didn't stand for it much and tried to get away with it as much as I could. Jordan while being a very loving big sister also thinks it's her job to not stand for any nonsense in the same tone that Mommy doesn't stand for any nonsense.

Muffin, like me when I was young, has better ideas.

And in his pre-verbal way, tells her exactly what he thinks. And even though he has no words, he has no difficulty in conveying what he thinks of his sister telling him what to do.

We'll probably have to intervene more when he is older and not allow him to get away with it. Especially if he is going to be like that when he is actually the one who is in the wrong.



He sure is growing up fast. I don't remember the twins being this way when they were 10 months old. Even though Jordan herself was a little baby dowager, she was never this assertive and fierce to others. This one, like I've said before, is one chilli padi.

Technorati Tags:

0 comments:

Post a Comment