Monday, January 17, 2011

Bookworm Club

Years ago, even before the twins were sperms, I had a conversation with Tym about how our greatest fear about having kids was that they grew up not being able to read. I am sure that in the larger scheme of things, there are definitely other and larger things to worry about. But being educators, we often lament the lack of cultural and literary capital in our students. Hence, our fear, that our children grow up not reading.

So we've inundated our children with books. Of course, they do different things with it. Muffin eats them, throws them and thinks they are great Peekaboo props. But I think at his age, the point is just so that books are a regular part of his landscape.





















Jordan uses the pictures to tell her own story. These stories are grand. Sometimes they coincide with what the real story is. But sometimes, she weave them out of thin air.

Evan wants us to read the story with punctuation marks included. So, an average story goes like this. "A gruffalo. Question mark. What apostrophe 's' a gruffalo. Question mark." Very disruptive reading.

I look forward to when they can read on their own. And this is once again an area where I discover, I am doing what my mother did for me. I have vivid memories of reaching into the dress pockets of my mom and pulling out flash cards with words. And the flashcards were complete with pronouns and verbs and nouns so that I could create my own sentences.

I've done the same thing. I stressed about it though. I thought I didn't know how to start. But strangely, those memories must be so deeply ingrained, I had no difficulties deciding what words I wanted to start with.

Evan loves the cards. And in minutes, he demands more words. So much so that I have keep the stack of blank cards beside me with a marker so that I can whip up on demand what he wants.


















Jordan is Little Miss Distracted. It takes her 15 minutes to do what Evan does in 5 not because she doesn't know it but because she rather play with her balloons, point out extraneous details like there being a dust spot on the flash card and so on. Or she creates imaginary words on the cards and insists that is what is written on the cards. She is, however very proud of herself when gets down to it and speeds through it.

It's a challenge but it is a worth while one. That and penmanship. Once again, because as an educator, one of my biggest peeve is the horrid horrid handwriting that I have to wade and squint through. And I rather not put my kids' teachers through that version of hell if I can help it.



Technorati Tags: ,

1 comments:

  1. Been reading for a while, Evan looks like a big boy now! Jordon still has her baby girl look though :)

    Have a goood new year!

    ReplyDelete